Gender Matters has a comprehensive volunteer programme, the focus of which is two-fold. The first purpose is to give volunteers valuable, relevant training that improves their confidence and offers real world opportunities for future employment or formal education. The second focus is the valuable work that volunteers contribute towards the efficient running of the charity. Each volunteer will undergo a comprehensive training programme - the core of-which is compulsory - concentrating on your existing skills, those you wish to develop and those that focus on the requirements of the charity in addition to your own personal goals. In conjunction with Wolverhampton Voluntary services we offer internal and external work placements.
Some of the volunteering opportunities are geared towards achieving the aims of specific projects. The current projects Mapping my journey and Trans-lucent (a fashion show where clothing and the event itself are being designed, created and presented by our volunteers and beneficiaries in conjunction with Shrewsbury College of Art and Design). The areas of expertise we hope to develop in our volunteers include: designing, dress-making, interviewing, archiving, filming and editing event organising and researching.
If you are already skilled in any of these areas, so much the better!
- CV creation
- Interview skills
- Numeracy & Literacy
- NVQ in Business and Administration
- First Aid
- Food Hygiene
- Trans awareness
Benefits to you
- Increased confidence through training and support
- Enhanced opportunities towards employability and access to further education
- Increased skills and confidence
- Bespoke support and action plans
With opportunities to:
- Make friends
- Practice social skills
- Broaden your own support network
- Secure meaningful work placements
- Use existing or develop new skills
Some of our volunteers have been successful in:
- Returning to college and university
- Completing work placements
- Securing job interviews and employment
- Achieving valuable qualifications
Your commitment to Gender Matters:
- To undergo a CRB check
- Regular (agreed) hours
- To present a respectful and courteous attitude
- To undergo necessary training
- To receive personal feedback
- To adhere to our policies and procedures
Our commitment to you:
- Monthly supervision with a member of staff
- Travel and associated expenses reimbursed
- An individual action plan to help you achieve your goals.
- We will pay for the required CRB check*
If you would like to find out more about the Volunteer Programme, please contact Chelsey Bailey, the Volunteer Co-ordinator via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to hearing from you.
* The normal process involves a strict requirement for applicants to state all previous names and aliases, appreciating this may cause anxiety or implications for trans applicants in supplying truthful statements, please be assured there is a provision in place - a process which can be followed and it is called a "sensitive application".
You can phone 0151 676 1452 or email: email@example.com or see the website for more details.