Welcome to Gender Matters Homepage
Gender Matters provides a comprehensive programme of practical support, counselling, advice and information for anyone with any questions or problems concerning their gender identity, or whose loved ones are struggling with gender identity issues.
Gender Matters – The Next Chapter.
In July 2014, Gender Matters’ two major projects, funded through The Big Lottery Fund and Lloyds TSB, came to an end. As such, we have moved on from the Mill House venue in Wolverhampton and are no longer able to provide the services we did at that location. Whilst our supportive services proved extremely valuable to the trans* community throughout the West Midlands, we find ourselves continuing to look for further funded projects. We are all working hard in the background to find a new home for Gender Matters and hope you will be patient whilst funding proposals are being put in.
The Thursday Drop-ins, at the Gender Matters centre, have been cancelled, for the forseeable future.
As an organisation we are here to help
- People who consider themselves to be trans: transgender, gender variant, gender queer, cross dresser, transvestite or any other non-standard gender identity
- People who do not identify with the gender they were assigned at birth or those who are simply unsure or questioning
- We also provide support and information for significant others, friends, families and allies
- We provide assistance to professionals who are supporting trans individuals
Resources for employers and service providers
In addition to our services for individuals, we also provide a range of services for organisations. Any employer or service provider could encounter an individual undergoing gender reassignment in the work place and could come across people in all walks of life in their service provision ranging from:
- Help when an employee is transitioning
- Awareness training
- Advice on relevant equality and employment law for all staff
Useful training and information for human resource officers, health workers, education professionals and information service providers (our training page contains more information).
GM is a centre of excellence for professional bodies and individuals from board level down, and is an authoritative centre in regard to training and professional development around trans issues.